Friday, May 6, 2011

Philosophy of Music Education


-Statement of Purpose:
Our classroom will bring students and teacher together for the
learning, creating, and appreciation of music. This will happen
in a safe, respectful, and cooperating environment to aid each
student in their quest for knowledge and skill.



      To understand my philosophy on teaching, you must first know that I
am a very hands-on, student driven teacher. Especially in middle school band, a
child can only learn from a book so far. He/she needs to experiment. They need to
have fun, but fun isn’t everything. I just feel one needs to spice up the
lessons. I plan to use creative teaching methods and create a fun,
educational atmosphere. Students that enjoy being in band are more likely to
stick with it throughout their school careers. Making them feel they are cared for and respected makes it easier to learn, and easier to be connected to the teacher and subject matter. 
      I was blessed with an extremely wonderful teacher through most of my
middle and high school years. This astonishing woman instilled strong
beliefs in me. She had a strict code of conduct and she stuck to it! She set
very high standards for playing and conducting yourself in rehearsal and in
practice. Some students griped about her intense rehearsal style, but she
turned out some the most accomplished middle/high school players in
Wisconsin. Her high standards were only surpassed by her love of music and
her love for her students. You respected her because you could do no less.
She demanded excellence to your best ability, and then took it one step
further. My first love of music I learned through her. She’s the reason I
want to teach, and the first one who told me I could. Sadly, she was killed by
a drunk driver a month after I graduated high school. But it is my goal in
teaching to inspire the way she has inspired me. Much of the methods I use I
learned from her. I only hope I can obtain similar results.
I want to encompass more than just the little black dots on the page.
Music is an audible representation of emotion. And I expect my students to
show that. Every band student can appreciate and understand music, if not
right away, they can learn! I feel a strong need to teach history along with the music. It’s very important to me that my students have a general grasp of
music history. As they progress in years, they will understand styles, pieces, etc.  If my students are playing a Bach chorale, they need to understand the time period and style in relationship to other pieces of
repertoire. Music is nothing without emotion. Musicality will be taught from
the start. If you teach it to them early, it will be easier to develop and apply.
And that’s what counts; the ability to develop and apply different aspects of
music: notes, history, style, passion, and general understanding.
I want to expose my students to repertoire that will challenge them. I
want music with a purpose. I want them to enjoy music and enjoy my
classroom.
      I want music to be fun and educational. I want my students to look
forward to coming to my classroom, seeing my posters, sharing thoughts,
making music. My goal is to have students feel like they belong. That no
matter what they are outside the classroom, they are united here.
I know over my future years of teaching, I’ll encounter every range of ability,
and I look forward to engaging each student individually. By making the
student a person, not just T2, Flute 3, you make them feel special. You make
them excited to be there, to be individual. 
      I want to teach to the best of my abilities while maintaining high standards for
playing and a general way of life. I want to inspire. I want to create. I want to
teach.
      Long story short:  EVERY child can be successful in music! It is my job to see what level is obtainable, and helping them past that. 



No comments:

Post a Comment