Friday, May 6, 2011

Artifact 1 (written while student teaching)

Artifact Reflection #1

Title of Artifact: WDHS Color Guard Instructor
Date Experience Completed: Fall 2008

Description of Artifact:
While student teaching at Wisconsin Dells High School, I got to be the color
guard (flag squad) instructor during the marching band season. It was my job to
make up all routines for the squad, and teach it to them. Every week I made a
reminder packet for the girls breaking down all the routines we had just learned so
they could study the packet and be extra ready for the upcoming performance. For
the final concert, I made a huge packet with all the routines we had learned and
would be performing. This artifact is the packet I made them. It explains all
routines, the order of the concert, and what is needed of them at the concert.

Wisconsin Teacher Standard Alignment:
I believe this artifact best aligns with Standard One: Content. I feel this
because standard one talks about really knowing the core concepts and being able
to utilize them into meaningful lessons. In order to be a color guard instructor, not
only do you have to know movement, but really understand the music. You have to
understand the concept of pulse, and the movement of the music. You also have to
understand how to put to movement and music together. You can’t just sit down
and write a color guard routine. You have to do lots of score prep, and listening to
the music. Score prepping is when you look at the score and break it into sections.
When does the melody come back, is there any music that repeats itself, and what
phrasing the music has. You must know the music inside and out. You also have to
be able to teach it effectively. You have to know pacing, and how to explain it to
each person on the squad’s different levels of ability.
As you can see in the artifact, it breaks down not only each section, but also
each move, into counts. There is a regional language with color guard. Guards
from different learning styles could have very different names for the same move.
Since it was my first year working with the guard at WI Dells high school, I had to
adapt my language, and broaden theirs. Something I have grown up calling “front
sweeps” is a move they call “giants”. Very different language for the same move.
To accommodate for this, I have broken down all moves into counts, so that
language will not be a barrier. This requires the instructor to know the counts of the
music really well, and be able to convey it to the students effectively, while
reminding them how much fun color guard is!
After the season, my color guard said that the packets really helped them
learn, and not just perform the routines, but understand them.

University Wisconsin Platteville School of Education Knowledge, Skill,
Disposition Statement Alignment:
My artifact aligns with KSD1.a-Demonstrates knowledge of content and
pedagogy. I feel this because in order to write and teach color guard routines, you
have to know what you are teaching! One has to have an in depth knowledge of
musical counts, break down of moves, and what actions go with what parts of
music. You also have to know how to adapt routines, and teach at different speeds.
I also feel it aligns with KS3.c-Engages student in learning. I think my student
teaching advisor said it best when she said, “When you’re teaching something as
exciting as color guard, how can students NOT be engaged?” Teaching color guard
is not like teaching math or English. They are up and moving. They have to be
engaged because you can tell by looking at the squad who is and is not getting it.
They are actively involved in asking questions and helping each other out.

What I Learned from This Experience:
I have been a color guard instructor for many schools, but I never had to write
and teach so many routines. It was really nice to have my own time to pace things,
and teach what I wanted. I learned how to accurately break down moves in color
guard language that I was not familiar with.

What I Learned About Myself as a Prospective Teacher:
I learned how to pace my lessons. There were so many routines, and I had to
fit all of them into the class periods I had before the performances. This means that
some routines had to be modified because not enough time could be given to work
on the harder parts. I learned sometimes you just don’t have enough time for
everything you planned! And you just have to teach them everything you can to
help them succeed.
I also learned how to adjust lessons for all the different levels of ability. In
order for everyone to look good and together, you need to write for your newest
members. There was such a variety! We had girls that have never spun, and some
girls that have been spinning flag their whole high school career. I learned that I
naturally write sequences in the routines. I make one easier, and one harder, and
then the each student can spin to the best of their ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment